Pages

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Green Tea Soba Bento


Like many folks, I am in the process returning to a lighter, pre-holiday way of eating. This bento is part of that effort! It was made with some lovely Japanese soba noodles flavored with green tea, purchased on my recent Mitsuwa spree. Here's the pretty package--love the refreshing Mt. Fuji imagery:

And the fine, gray-green noodles within:

I combined the cooked soba noodles with a light ginger dressing, garlic buds, shrimp, avocado slices, pickled plums, yuzu, snow pea shoots, tobiko, myoga, mitsuba and enoki mushrooms:

A refreshing and vitamin-rich papaya-kiwi smoothie:

To make: Place two peeled kiwis and the flesh of one papaya in a blender, add one cup of milk/almond milk/soymilk, a cup of water, and a tablespoon of vanilla-flavored whey or your favorite protein powder. Add a dash of cinnamon and blend until smooth and creamy.

Some holiday treats remain around the house, like these French macaroons from my dear friend, Sharon:

I'm trying to savor the box slowly, January-style...!

18 comments:

Token said...

Wow, this looks so delicous! I love green tea soba, too :D

Bentobird said...

Hi Bento Lunch Blog,
Many thanks! I love your blog--so inspiring! How do you like to prepare your green tea soba?

hapa bento said...

A tempting array of photos! You make me want to eat shrimp! :)

Papaya/kiwi smoothie... the pinnacle of health!

Here's to yours! *clink*

Bentobird said...

Hi Debra!
Thank you! Raising a glass to yours as well--cheers! Here's to creative, happy, and healthy bentoing in the year ahead!

megan said...

this combination of entree and beverage is truly inspiring in its flavorful lightness. you are making me feel guilty for extending my holiday pig-out, j/k! :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, so pretty this bento. It is food for the spirit as well as the body. I know I felt my heart skip a little when I saw it. Happy New Year B-Bird and to all your little chicken too!
Blorgie1 (Carolyn) xx

Angi said...

I've not had the green tea soba yet. Are they nice? I bought some ume soba but have yet to try them :) I just love the idea of pink noodles!

Lexi said...

This looks so delicious and light! Perfect for January!

Bentobird said...

Dear Megan,
Glad you liked this combo! Mostly healthy, a little sinful works for me!

Bentobird said...

Dear Carolyn,
Wow, such a lovely comment! I'm so happy this bento spoke to you, and can hardly wait to see what fresh (bento) beauty you will create from your garden this year!

Bentobird said...

Hi Angi!
I found them very nice--enjoyed the mellow buckwheat flavor and subtle green freshness. Now, ume noodles sound really interesting! I used ume pickles in this bento and loved them! In fact, hubby and I may now be addicted :)

Bentobird said...

Thanks Alexx! Are you feeling that post-holiday gravitation towards light, fresh foods as well? I look forward to hopping on over to your blog to see what you've been cooking up :)

Jacqueline said...

This looks delicious and wonderful ^-^ Like a fantastic garden. That's what I love most on your bento. Everything fits perfectly together and looks like they all have their destiny in being in there. =^-^=

Bentobird said...

Thank you dear Lil'chan! I hope your New Year is off to a wonderful start, and I look forward to our bento visits in the months ahead!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful arrangement with the soba, it looks absolutely delicious! I am with you on the eating healthier this year! :D

Bentobird said...

Hi Susan!
Thank you! Your fresh, pretty bentos will inspire me in this lighter eating quest :)

Unknown said...

Wonderful arrangement of soba and these veggies! Very interested in the combination of ginger dressing, yuzu, garlic buds, and the others, it must be absolutely delicious!

Bentobird said...

Hi babykins!
So nice to have you visit :)
This combo was fresh and invigorating! Are you also a fan of the onion/garlic family? I love the way garlic buds and stems taste like a lighter green fusion of both onion and garlic...