Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

smørrebrød bento


Hi friends!  Today's bento features a Scandinavian-style smørrebrød sandwich with dill-mustard marinated herring, tart apple slices and edible viola. I recently came across this fantastic resource on the art of smørrebrød: hop on over for an endlessly entertaining and informative guide to this distinctive and tasty tradition, and a wealth of authentic recipes.

Arugula, radish, fresh dill and apple slices share the bento with my smørrebrød. Enjoying a balmy and bright afternoon for late February: much excited birdsong, blooming crocus and periwinkle, green tufts of spring bulbs emerging a few weeks early (a very warm winter for us this year).


Enjoy the rest of the week, happy cooking!





12 comments:

tinyskillet said...

I will check out that resource soon. I do like checking out authentic recipes and such. Your brnto is delightful, so cheerful. It must be mild weather where you are...usually you see crocuses peek out through some snow! My dad would love the herring.

Bentobird said...

Hi Lyndsey! Thanks so much for your sweet comments. The blog is awesome--he makes his own bread...everything, really. Have a great evening, buddy :)

Happy Little Bento said...

What an interesting sandwich! Apple, herring and viola... and the sweetness of spring. Lovely.

Lia Chen said...

Looks so delicate! Beautifully present in that basket box. Is that come with the lid too?
Have a great day Jenn!

Journal Mommy Yenny said...

Looks so yummy, Jenn ;b

berrygirl@mommy kiki can! said...

Oh this is so special and lovely! I will try this for my Mother-in-Law for Mother's Day Lunch; it's that perfect!

OhayoBento said...

I love when you put your bentos in baskets :) The combination of flavors are intriguing.

Bentobird said...

Lovey comments Sheri, so nice with my morning coffee--thank you!

Bentobird said...

Hi Lia, thanks, dear! Yes indeed, it comes with a matching top piece that fits neatly for a secure closure. Have a super day!

Bentobird said...

Hugs and thanks, Yenny!

Bentobird said...

Hi berrygirl! Aw, what nice comments, thank you! I liked the contrast of sweet-tart apple slices with the musatrd-dill fish.

I had a dear Finnish friend when I lived overseas who made delightful Finnish specialties, including an amazing chocolate cake and pastas with lots of sour cream...yummmm.

Bentobird said...

Hi there Heather! Isn't it interesting how our bento boxes (in this case basket) shape a meal, the spirit of it? I enjoy how this woven bento lends a soft and natural touch...have a great day!